Five-Star IT services in Mannington Dorset including network security and the very latest progressive web apps, web design and SEO.
We living and working in Dorset & Hampshire
We have been in business since 1986 and have travelled to all corners of the British Isles, mainly to
install voice and data networks but also to resolve complex IT and security issues for our wonderful
clients, including an overnight round trip to Glasgow to fix a broken PC that just needed plugging in!
They say that home is where the heart is, well our home is right on the border between Dorset and Hampshire and so we love both, from quaint and quiet villages and the peaceful New Forest to the historic docks and the busy towns and cities all right here on our doorstep including Mannington.
We always like to use small local businesses rather than large national and international companies where we can, and encourage others to do the same, the benefits are manyfold, with some obvious but many you may not have really thought about.
Did You Know?
Mannington and its southerly neighbour Lower Mannington are hamlets in the English county of Dorset. They are located within Holt parish 2.5 miles (4 km) north of Ferndown and 2.5 miles (4 km) south-east of Verwood in the East Dorset district. The village is home to a large electricity substation on the National Grid 400kV transmission network.
More Media related to Mannington, Dorset can be found at Wikimedia Commons
Coordinates: 50°51.09.N 1°54.48.W / 50.85258°N 1.91329°W
Mapperton is noted for its manor house, with both house and gardens open to the public during the summer months. The house is Grade I listed, as is the attached All Saints' Church which dates from the 12th century.
The manor had been owned since the 11th century by only four families (Brett, Morgan, Brodrepp, Compton), all linked by the female line, before it was sold to Ethel Labouchere in 1919. When she died in 1955 it was acquired by Victor Montagu, Viscount Hinchingbrooke. When he died in 1995 it passed to his son, The 11th Earl of Sandwich.
Robert Morgan built a Tudor manor on the present site in the 1540s, and part of it remains as the north wing of the present building. The house was largely rebuilt in the 1660s by Richard Brodrepp, with the addition of the hall and west front, as well as the dovecote and stable blocks. A second Richard Brodrepp created the Georgian staircase in the 18th century. In 2006 the house was voted the "Nation's Finest Manor House" by Country Life magazine.
The tomb of Richard Brodrepp in the church dates from 1739 and was designed by Peter Scheemakers.
The grounds and formal gardens are Grade II* listed. An Italianate garden laid was out in the 1920s and a wild garden in the 1950s. In 2020, the gardens were named Historic Houses Garden of the Year. The house is run by Viscount and Viscountess Hinchingbrooke. In January 2023, they announced plans to open the house for a limited number of private tours.
This is on the south side of the village and as well as a square tower at the south west end, has a large spire mounted on the SW corner of the top of the tower.
The Abbey Church dates mostly from the 14th century, with a 15th-century north transept and tower extension. It was restored in 1790 by James Wyatt and in 1865 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. It is described in its listing text as "a church of major importance". The Chapel of St Catherine dates from the late 12th century and originally served the abbey. It has been changed little since its construction; during the 18th century the chancel walls were raised and the nave's west wall rebuilt, in 1901 it was restored, and about 1980 the stone slates on the north side of the roof were replaced with artificial stone. Milton Abbey School, built in 1771 1776 as a country house, was designed by Sir William Chambers and James Wyatt in the early Gothic Revival style. It largely replaced the abbey's domestic buildings. The abbot's hall and kitchen at Milton Abbey used to be the abbey's hall (built 1498) and dining room (17th century); they were incorporated into the country house (now Milton Abbey School) by Chambers and restored by Sir Gilbert Scott in the mid-19th century. A fire in 1956 destroyed internal features in the kitchen.
Milton Manor, on the east side of the village, is listed as Grade II. It was originally built in the mid 19th century as a shooting lodge forming part of the Hambro Estate. It was enlarged in the early 20th century in the Arts and Crafts style.
The largest ethnic group in Moor Crichel with 96.7% of the population is White British as reported by the 2011 Census. The remaining is made up of 2.9% Irish White or Other White ethnicities and 0.4% Other Asian/Asian British.
On 1 April 2021, two years after the petition was submitted, Throop and Holdenhurst Village Council was formed.
In 1889 Elmhurst was bought at auction by George Hamilton Fletcher (1860-1930), who renamed it The Anchorage. He was an ardent yachtsman who became a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, Cowes with his boat Joyeuse. By his marriage to Ada Herapath, Fletcher was a brother-in-law to the artist and long-term illustrator for Punch magazine Linley Sambourne, whose diaries record that he stayed at The Anchorage on several occasions. Fletcher sold The Anchorage in 1919.
After two more private owners, the building was acquired in 1929 by the Teachers Provident Society for use as a retirement and convalescent home for teachers. This was officially opened on 19 April 1930 by the Minister of Health, the Right Hon Arthur Greenwood. At the start of World War II it provided offices for the Society's staff who were transferred from London. Later in the war it was requisitioned by the Government for use as a military billet. After the war it returned it its former use as a convalescent home. It is still owned by the Teachers' Housing Association. The building is Grade II Listed. DoE Ref 3/234 Grid Reference: SZ1863592089.
On the outskirts of the original Mudeford village, close to the course of Bure Brook, was an imposing mansion called Bure Homage House with a large associated estate which included Friars Cliff. It was built at the start of the 19th century, replacing Bure Farmhouse, by Charles Stuart, 1st Baron Stuart de Rothesay. In 1837, it was sold to Sophie Dawes, a renowned smuggler who became a French Baroness. During World War II, it was used as an officers mess by the 405th Fighter Group who operated at RAF Christchurch. After the war it was used for a while by the Signals Research and Development Establishment. It was demolished in 1957. It was situated in the area which is now called Bure Homage Gardens, and accessed via the lodge which is still to be seen opposite the site of the former Waterford Hotel. It was associated with the nearby Highcliffe Castle which was built later between 1831 and 1835. The land is now occupied by residential housing.
The first Christchurch lifeboat was in service by early 1804. It was Number 17 of the 31 'Original' lifeboats designed and built by Henry Greathead of South Shields, making Mudeford one of the earliest places on the coast of Great Britain to operate a purpose-built rescue boat. The boat was presented by the Right Hon George Rose, the Member of Parliament for Christchurch, who owned the nearby Sandhills villa. In 1802 Greathead wrote that George Rose had enquired about the provision of a lifeboat for Christchurch. Later that year Rose sat on a House of Commons Select Committee that granted Greathead a remuneration payment of £1,200 for his selfless life-saving work. Part of the payment for the Christchurch boat was met from a fund established by Lloyds marine insurers to assist coastal communities to buy a lifeboat, though the bulk of the cost and subsequent running expenses still had to be raised locally. The boats crew of ten oarsmen and a steersman was provided by local volunteers, and a signal gun was to be provided at the Haven House to help direct it towards a wreck. It is not known how long this boat was in service and there are no known records of any rescues.
In 1868 a lifeboat was presented to the inhabitants of Mudeford by Donald Nicoll, Member of Parliament for Frome, as a token of regard for his friend Viscount Bury, who resided at Elmhurst (now The Anchorage). The provision of the boat was organised by the Royal Humane Society. It is believed that the 16 foot boat had been built at Cowes, Isle of Wight, by the noted shipbuilding firm of John Samuel White and was of an innovative design that had been patented by White and Southampton-based engineer and inventor Andrew Lamb. The lifeboat was conveyed to Christchurch by railway and its onward journey to Mudeford was organised by local hotelier Nicholas Newlyn, all free of charge. It was proposed that the lifeboat be named Lord Bury because Viscount Bury and Coastguard Boatman Charles Pride had recently risked their own lives in the unsuitable Coastguard boat in a bid to rescue three Mudeford fishermen. Although they had been able to save only one of the men, Viscount Bury and Pride received a letter of commendation from Queen Victoria through Thomas Biddulph, and the RNLI and Royal Humane Society subsequently awarded them both with a silver medal for their gallantry.
The first modern RNLI lifeboat, an inflatable D class boat, was stationed on Mudeford Quay in 1963. The present Lifeboat Station was opened in 2003.
Christchurch Airfield, which operated in World War II as RAF Christchurch, was bordered by Mudeford Lane, Stroud Lane and Bure Lane. By the 1960s it was mostly wilderness. At that time it was separated from an SRDE site on the north by a high wire fence. Since then the wilderness has been largely replaced with residential housing and a school.
Stanpit village is a historic area along the southern boundary of current day Mudeford. The Stanpit road connects from the end of the original Mudeford road through to Purewell Cross. Along part of the south west side of Stanpit road is Stanpit Marsh.
If something here is wrong, you should really consider updating the information on Wikipedia to help other readers, everyone can contribute and all corrections and additional information is always very welcome.
We also used the following coordinates to generate the Google Map displayed on this page. latitude 50.850722 and longitude -1.912179
Need some help with your I T in
Get in touch
Cyber SecurityPenetration Testing, Security Resilience, Computer Forensics and Reverse Engineering
Web & App DevelopmentCreative design, limitless functions & fully responsive.
Progressive Web App specialists.
Voice & Data NetworksTelephone systems, data cabling and comms room builds including fibre optic, cat5e/6/7 & wifi
Support, Sales & RepairsSame day service, expert technical consultation and free, friendly, helpful advice.
We truly care about our customers, our service and our products.
At Zero42, we genuinely care about our customers, and we're passionate about providing the very best service and products. We understand that choosing the right provider for your cyber security, data + voice communications, and full 360° I.T support is an important decision, and that's why we're here to help.
You can trust us to deliver top-class technical service, rapid technical support, and excellent value for money, whether you need a simple repair or a full unified network solution. Our commitment to our customers has earned us consistent Five-Star ratings, and we're proud to be a small and local business friendly company.
We believe in being reliable, affordable, and flexible, because we know that every customer is different. So, if you're looking for a partner you can trust, look no further than Zero42. We're here to help you succeed.
- Consistently rated Five Stars
- Small & local + business friendly
- Reliable, Affordable, Flexible